Saturday, March 04, 2006

Dondo the Magiclown



Had an interesting encounter with a clown today. Alex, Andrea and I went to Salem to check out Salem State for Andrea and we had lunch at Rockafellas. On Saturdays the good folks at Rockafellas bring in a clown for the kiddies. I have a problem with clowns for lots of reasons...I got to add a new reason to my list today. I wanted a picture of the clown's setup because his name was...interesting - Dondo. I wonder now if maybe he's an Italian clown....at any rate....I went up to Dondo's platform and asked him if I could take a picture. He looked at me suspiciously (I already had my lie made up in my head - not sure why I did this other than survival instinct told me to have a lie ready). So he eyes me up and down and says, "Why do you want a picture?" Now I wanted to say..dude you're a clown...isn't that part of your deal...people take pictures of you and your clowness? Instead I went straight to my lie. I said, "I want it for my niece" (I don't have a niece). He replied - "Where's your niece?" I said at home and she likes clowns. He said, "What's she doing at home?" I was like..uh hanging out. Dondo the Magiclown then proceeds to tell me that "people" take pictures of clowns to steal things in the act and he had to be careful. Who knew there was a black market kinda thing for clown acts. I'm thinking to myself, "Do I look like a clown? Fatso the Clown? Do I look like I perform at birthdays and I'm trying to move in on your territory? In the end he let me take a picture of him juggling and I snuck in a pic of what I wanted in the first place...his platform. Enjoy the pictures. Creepy ass clown! On a side - note a lesson came into clear view today - we were asking people for directions today and during our slow drive up the streets of Salem and Lynn we were carefully looking for the right person to ask and I was about to pull over to ask a pedestrian for directions when I noticed he was having a pleasant conversation with himself. So lesson number one for asking directions - never, under any circumstances, ask someone for directions if they are having a conversation with one of their alternate personalities. I'm available for your next birthday....give me a holla and I'll be there with a big red nose, floppy shoes, and my Mini clown car. I can make balloon animals, creep out your kids, and juggle knives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Last night I watched the episode of Sex - the one where Miranda's son turns 1. SJP made her promise that no clowns would be coming because 'there's nothing worse than a clown!' It made me think of your post and I laughed even harder when she walked through the door and saw the clown waiting to take her jacket. She even gave a little scream and kept eyeing him suspiciously. -Michelle