Monday, August 01, 2005

First Day




So the bus route worked and I made it to work on time! It's so nice not to have leave the house until almost 8. It was overcast and almost chilly this morning...this afternoon though heated up a bit and my walk back to the bus stop was considerably warmer. Work went well, first days are usually pretty easy and this was no exception.

Susanne, the woman who currently manages the safety program for PRB (Partners Research Building) took me on a tour of the building and showed me all of the labs and points of interest.

One part of the building does surgery simulation. I got to see a mock surgery being performed by three or four residents. It looked incredibly real, especially when I first walked into the observation room. After the tour she bought lunch for the facility people we work with and we had a get to know you lunch. We ordered from a place called Dimitrio's...it was insanely good, and I'm sure ridiculously fattening. Which I imagine is what makes it so good.

I met two people on the bus today that live in our building..both from Texas, both very nice. I also got to me our neighbor Gert. Mom met her when she and dad were here and said she was a riot. Well I got to meet her today and she is the funniest 87 year old I've ever met. She kept slapping the back of her thigh everytime she said something funny. And in order for her to understand my name (she kept saying nacae, naddie) I used the tried and true Jean Nate' perfume reference. She immediately understood because she laughed, slapped the back of her thigh, and exclaimed "I wear Jean Nate' to parties, now I can tell my friends I met a Natae". As she turned the corner for the elevator I could still hear her laughing and slapping the back her thigh. She's adorable!

2 comments:

Anja said...

Sounds just like my first day in the Safety Dept at T-Mobile. A little get to know you lunch, a tour.....oh, slap me, I was dreaming. The simulated operation sounds fascinating!

Unknown said...

Hahaha I know...that's exactly what I was thinking all day...how different it was than my first day. You are too funny! :)