Friday, August 26, 2005

Friday Friday Friday


Looking down from The Pru and Andrea at The Pru










Tonight in Harvard Square I broke my rule and gave a beggar my leftover change for some reason and when I dropped it in his tattered Styrofoam cup he said, "Thank ya sista, nice haircut". I had to laugh because if you know anything about the hair drama I've gone through in the last month you will know how much agony said haircut has caused. I don't feel special though, I'm sure he says that to all the girls :-)



Last night we went to the airport to pick up Andrea. As we waited at the doors watching the international passengers pass through I noticed this man dressed completely in black, totally bald, with a longish black beard and glasses. He was standing at the end of the walk way where passengers could go either left or right to meet their families. I watched as he directed people for about 20 minutes...just like a traffic cop with confident, purposeful hand movements and verbal directions I couldn't understand. As I watched him I realized he didn't appear to have a badge and both Alex and I thought it was odd. It was driving me crazy because I began to think he didn't work at the airport at all and yet everyone was following his orders without question.

So finally he moved from his spot and started talking with two women and then he walked away carrying their suitcase. So I went over to the women and asked them if he worked at the airport. I told them he looked like he worked there and I had a question (of course I didn't but I wanted to find out what was up). They told me "No he doesn't work here at all, this is his first time in the U.S. and he is Finnish". Sooooo it proves you just have to act like you're in charge and most people will follow without question. Nice that it happened in an airport too isn't it?

Pictures of the day are one's Alex took while taking Andrea around and this evening in Harvard Square...





If you look really closely you can see our apartment building from The Pru










We thought we'd struck it rich when we found this on a billboard but no such luck! :-)




Mennonites in Harvard Square singing Christmas Carols...not what you'd expect but goes to show you will see anything in Harvard Square.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I went in a month ago to a new person...new town..new stylist..told him not too short not too drastic and he chopped it off! I'm getting used to now though...just hair though right :-) I'll send the recipe soon!

Anja said...

Mennonites singing Christmas carols.... you've got to be kidding? What? You're not?