Friday, August 15, 2008

I've been thinking a lot about why I am so annoyed by the grocery store lady and the coffee pot people.

I've talked about it with Steve and Stef and they had some interesting insights. Steve thinks that people just don't bother to show common courtesy and Stef said that we all have boundaries and when people cross those boundaries we get upset. Some of us internalize it...others not so much. Both ideas make sense and are part of the anger. And then there's Heather who thinks we are hard wired way back from the early days to be warriors and we want to fight it out b/c it's part of hunter gather days.

I think it's b/c I try to be considerate of people around me and I'm held responsible for my actions and I think they should be as well. And yet people sometimes act like they can do whatever they want without answering to anyone and without being considerate of anyone around them.

Also the other part of the story is while I was at the store (before the lady upset me) I was standing in front of the produce cooler - out of the way - looking at the fruit - and I look around to see who is around me and there is a woman standing there behind me - and instead of going around me (which would not have been difficult at all) she clearly expected me to move. So I did - she passed me without so much as a nod or a thank you. It went down hill from there I guess.

And I'm not a saint, I cut people off but usually it's not intentional and if I do it I sure as hell raise my hand and give a wave and feel bad for being an a-hole. Is it too much to ask for a wave? A nod? A little bit of consideration? I also make coffee in the mornings - full caf and decaf even though I only drink full caf - but I know people drink decaf and I try to make it so it's ready when they get in. I also appreciate the fact that other people make the coffee for me in the morning if they get in before I do.

All in all both of these things are trivial and it shouldn't set me off so I guess I'll work on tolerance and patience and try not to take it personally. But...if I find out who you are coffee pot people I won't let you off the hook. And I have rammed the cart of an 11 year old girl in a busy Target after she cut my mom off with her cart - walking around bratastic as she was. I'm not proud of it and my dad was mortified but maybe next time she'll pull her brat ass out of her head and pay attention or give a sh*t that she was rude. Or perhaps it's all in vain and I'll stroke out from the stress of it all.

And don't even get me started on the hateful heffer - she really sets off my 'i'm not accountable for my actions and can do whatever i want b/c i'm queen heff of the heffers'.

Good night.

No comments: