Friday, August 01, 2008

First Aid Kit





We went to the STL Zoo today. I thought I was pretty prepared with my new Eddie Bauer tote bag; just right for carrying step-kid stuff. I'm such the organized together step-mom don't you know?

The oldest asked me what I was carrying in that big bag and I rattled off a list - sunscreen, sunglasses for their young eyes, disinfectant wipes for their dirty hands, camera to capture all the zoo moments. He then asked me ' and a first aid kit'? I replied a bit deflated 'no , no first aid kit - I'm still trying to figure this all out'. To which he said 'it's ok you're still new at it'. Just one of the reasons I love him ;)

It's a pretty good metaphor for how I feel when it comes to this step-momish stuff...I've got a few of the necessary tools but no first aid kit, and extra tools I need to get rid of, like limited patience, a potty mouth, a quick temper, and low tolerance for whining. But other than that I'm kicking butt at the instant family thing.





3 comments:

vincent said...

limited patience, a potty mouth, a quick temper, and low tolerance for whining... Hey sister, nothing wrong with that, those are mom qualities too! You're doing great.
xo-Moira

Unknown said...

Thanks :) I love the pictures of V at Block Island!

Anonymous said...

If I could have ANYONE for a step-mom, it would be you, Chicadee. You're showing the rest of us how it's done! XOK