Tuesday, June 12, 2007

meme

My friend Stef has meme'd me. Stef looked it up on the urban dictionary. And here's what it said:

meme (noun)

1. an idea, believe or belief system, or pattern of behavior that spreads throughout a culture either vertically by cultural inheritance (as by parents to children) or horizontally by cultural acquisition (as by peers, information media, and entertainment media)

2. a pervasive thought or thought pattern that replicates itself via cultural means; a parasitic code, a virus of the mind especially contagious to children and the impressionable

4. in blogspeak, an idea that is spread from blog to blog

5. an internet information generator, especially of random or contentless information

(She skipped 3 because She just didn't think it was as interesting.)

She has tagged me to write 8 quirks or habits about myself, and then pass it on to some lovelies whose blogs I enjoy.

This is hard but I'll try

1. If anything is too complicated for me or requires too much figuring out - I bail. I'm not one of those relentless types of people who keep trying - I quit - I'm a quitter - and I'm ok with that. I'm not a quitter when it comes to tackling life problems - just things that require too much thought or instructions that sort of thing. If it doesn't work by the second time I don't care to keep on trying and if it seems to be too intricate at first glance I will completely ignore it. God invented IT people, help desks, boyfriends, and handymen for these sorts of things - and I love them.

2. I'm a bit obsessed with death - I think/worry about it WAY too much. I blame it on my Grandma and Grandpa Caliper and telling me too many stories about ghosts, car accidents, and other morbid crap when I was a kid.

(as I'm writing these I don't think those who know me will find these all that surprising)

3. I'm not really very patient and I'm easily annoyed. Generally speaking I mean that I'm not very tolerant of the general public - people ANNOY the living sh*t out of me. If I like you though you are pretty much stuck with me b/c I'll probably always like you - unless you become a crazy freak like me and then I'll bail (the whole complicated thing referenced in number 1)

4. I scream whenever I have to kill a bug larger than a fly - it's not on purpose it's just a stress reliever and it comes out - I get freaked out - kill it and scream and then run around my house shaking and jumping and flapping my arms b/c I feel like it's on me.

5. I have atypical narcolepsy which basically means it's really hard for me to stay awake during the day some times. It's extremely annoying...but oh how I love to talk about it ;) (this one is a bonus - you got two of my idiosyncrasies for one)

6. I secretly have always wanted to lobby for a woman's right to choose - seriously. I used to argue with the protesters outside of Planned Parenthood when I drove by - and by argue I mean I used to honk/yell/gesture at them if there wasn't enough time while at the stoplight to engage them in conversation. I remember telling them one time to get a freaking hobby and leave us all alone.

7. There are only a few people I can drive with and be comfortable being a passenger. I believe it goes back to my obsession with my death (and having a father who falls asleep while driving) - but I can pretty much name on 1 or 1 1/2 hands how many people I am comfortable passengering with. Yes I made up passengering.

8. I believe in soul mates and destiny and love beyond comprehension.

That wasn't so hard....your turn!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like you, most people who know me won't be surprised by my list:

1. I am severely afraid of spiders. No matter how tiny or translucent they are I can see them and I freak out. I especially hate it when I am driving and a creepy spider walks across my windshield. I omit these tiny, weird screams and immediately turn on the windshield wipers, causing bug guts to spread everywhere, which makes me scream more. I can handle rats, mice (pretty cute, actually), cockroaches, palmetto bugs, caterpillars; just not spiders or any other bug with alot of legs. My skin is crawling and I'm getting a yucky feeling in my stomach just writing about them. EWWWWW!!!!

2. I am a VERY picky eater. If I don't like what it looks or smells like there is no way in hell it is going into my mouth. My diet is very limited but I don't care.

3. I pick my fingernails, sometimes without realizing and the next thing I know they hurt - alot. Hence the real reason for me to spend hundreds of dollars on acrylic nails over the last 15 years.

4. I have a really bad temper. Alot of people haven't seen that side of me because I learned to control it a long time ago. For those who have seen that side of me, it is not pretty. It takes alot to get me to that point but once I'm there you might want to back away. I say things that normally would not come out of my mouth and I will do everything I can to verbally and emotionally bruise you. Alot of times my mind blacks out and I get really shaky. I often have to ask people what happened or what was said after the fact because my anger blinded me and I don't remember. I also tend to point alot when I'm angry I'm told so that's another reason to back off.

5. I don't like people treating me like a child, especially people who are not much older than me. I've always been the adult in my family and have had to deal with lots of crap people probably wouldn't imagine and I HATE it when people talk down to me. I've been supporting myself for a really long time and judging by the fact that I'm 34, make pretty good money without having a Bachelors degree and own 2 homes, I would say that I'm a qualified adult by now. Leave me alone!

6. I don't believe in marriage for myself and I have no desire to reproduce. I especially hate it when people tell me I HAVE to get married and have kids or my life is not complete. These are the people who obviously don't know the real me that well (yes, I know I put up alot of walls but still...) or don't care about I want in life (quiet, lots of animals). I would be a terrible mother and I know that. I knew in my early teens that I never wanted to be a parent and though I've wavered a few times that was more for Gene than it was for me. I am quite content with being a mom to my animals and a good aunt.

7. I like to be alone alot, especially at night. I can be outgoing in social situations but I really prefer to be by myself. I think it's coming from a large highly dysfunctional family, having them tell me that they didn't really like me and that I was weird and different combined with moving so many times during my childhood and knowing that I never really fit in, especially since I knew we wouldn't be staying long. I just find that being alone is more satisfying. I went through my social phases but now I'm back to my solitary self.

8. I LOVE to travel. I enjoy going to places I haven't been and experiencing the culture and seeing the sights I have only read about in books. That's magical! But I do get annoyed when I keep going back to past destinations - with the obvious exception of NYC. I recently bought a world map and am in the process of marking all of my destinations so I can see what I've accomplished and hae yet to do.

9. I am a night owl and really enjoy the darkness. If I had a choice I would sleep all day and be functional only during the evening.

Michelle Y

georgiegirl said...

God, Natae! That was really funny. I laughed so hard when I pictured you yelling before smashing a bug. So freakin funny.

And I like how you used my intro but changed the pronouns. That made me laugh, too.

Am I one of the people you don't mind passengering with? Wait. Don't answer that. I already know the answer.

Anonymous said...

just stay away from painting and people with OJ. life maybe little easier.;)