Wednesday, June 20, 2007

First it was Limbo and now it's Driving..will the madness ever end?

So awhile back the Catholic Church decided to do away with Limbo when it comes to babies who die before they are baptized and it resulted in the conversation I wrote about between me and Kristin where she got upset that the church was regulating the games we play (Limbo vs. limbo)

At any rate Jennifer H told me today that the Church has now come out with the 10 Commandments of driving. Probably heard about it on th news but...

Here they are:
First a lead in from the church: Drivers must avoid behaving in an "unsatisfactory and even barely human manner" when driving. They must also refrain from "unbalanced behavior … impoliteness, rude gestures, cursing, [and] blasphemy."

The Ten Commandments for road use are as follows:
  1. You shall not kill. (ok with this one)
  2. The road shall be for you a means of communion between people and not of mortal harm. (I wouldn't do it on purpose but really - get the hell outta my way)
  3. Courtesy, uprightness and prudence will help you deal with unforeseen events. (simple enough in theory)
  4. Be charitable and help your neighbor in need, especially victims of accidents. (can do)
  5. Cars shall not be for you an expression of power and domination, and an occasion of sin. (Hummer anyone? That can cover both of those - I'll let you figure it out)
  6. Charitably convince the young and not-so-young not to drive when they are not in a fit condition to do so. (i.e. decide who's the LEAST drunk)
  7. Support the families of accident victims.
  8. Bring guilty motorists and their victims together, at the appropriate time, so that they can undergo the liberating experience of forgiveness. (unless you wave at me when you pull in front me and acknowledge you were in the wrong I will NEVER forgive)
  9. On the road, protect the more vulnerable party. (who is the more vulnerable party? the guy that's on his phone not paying attention or the people he's running off the road?)
  10. Feel responsible towards others. (I will try harder to use my turn signal - happy?)

Um - I have a hard enough time following the original ones - and now this? I feel even more hell bound than I did before. At least I can take comfort in the fact that after I spend rush hour cussing and gesturing and sinning in my car I can come home and ask for forgiveness, say a few hail mary's and feel right with the Lord of the Cooper.

Peace be with you...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well if you're hell bound, then i'm really screwed.

Unknown said...

I was thinking of you while I wrote this :) Hand to God I was ;)