Thursday, April 19, 2007

Don't make me pull this car over

I was chatting with Snooky last night and she reminded me of something that happened in college that I had totally forgotten but really was one of those priceless moments that should be revisited on occasion. Here's the scene...

Snooky, DeeAnne, and this dude Meckler were in my car (I think it was my car) (RIP sweet Prelude) driving "down south". The town where we went to college, Murray, KY was a dry county back then and if you wanted to buy beer you had to drive down south about 10 minutes to TN to Mack's to pick up beer and if you wanted liquor you had to drive further south to Paris TN. I assume that's what we were doing but I don't remember exactly - not the point.

Point: Meckler was a decent guy but he was ANNOYING! I mean hyperactive childlike annoying and DeeAnne did not and does not suffer fools easily so things were a bit tense in the car because he was acting up and DeeAnne was letting him know he was getting on her last nerve. He was getting on all of our nerves to be more precise.

So things heated up and the details are fuzzy but DeeAnne basically told him to shut up or walk home. Mind you we are at least 45 minutes from Murray and pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Well he wouldn't shut his pie hole and somehow I ended up pulling into a gas station and DeeAnne kicked him out of the car. We drove off and left him at the gas station. *eg*

We go back to Murray and end up at some house party and who is sitting there having a great time - Meckler. He might have even beat us to the party I can't remember. What I do remember is that he was happy as a clam - evidently he hitched a ride with some truck driver and made it back to Murray with no problem. He was sorta like a bad penny or a monster in a horror movie - you think you've gotten rid of them or killed them - but they keep turning up.

Snooky - feel free to correct me if I got the details wrong :)

2 comments:

Darkhelmet said...

Awwwww I miss the Prelude... such a cool car... complete with South Park Bumper sticker.

Great memories associated with that car.

Anonymous said...

I became best friends with this guy Jim in high school due to a situation pretty similar to this.

My friend Lori and I were part way through our junior year and she had just started dating a senior named Carter. Jim was his best friend and a senior also. They LOVED the 'Blues Brothers' and routinely dressed and acted like Akroyd and Belushi, quoting lines and wearing dark glasses, the works. I thought they were both pretty dorky and didn't relish the thought of spending time with them. However, our town being so small, you didn't really have a great pool of people to pick from. Anyway, one night I pick Lori up in my 78 Monte Carlo (complete with black electric tape covering all the dings from my parents all-seeing eyes) and she tells me we're going to hang out with Jim and Carter. I was so not thrilled but whatever. We proceeded to 'cruise' because that's what you do when you're 16. The guys were being so stupid and silly that when they got out to get food at the McDonald's in Epsom (a really, really long and dark walk from our homes in the backwoods and mountains of Barnstead and Pittsfield)I told Lori "we're leaving them here, they're dorks". I was only partly serious because I have too much of a guilty conscience to really do it. So we went around the rotary a few times then went back to get them. We thought it was hilarious. Needless to say, they were not pleased but they got back in the car. I alternated between feeling bad and giggling but there was dead silence from the backseat. All of a sudden Bad Company's 'Bad Company' came on the radio (this WAS 1990). In unison, Jim and Carter said "This is what you guys are - BAD COMPANY!!!" and proceeded to sing the song to us. I nearly crashed my car I laughed so hard! From that moment on I loved Jim and Carter and the four of us became inseperable.

Jim and I were platonic best friends throughout my senior year and he was even my date for my Senior Prom! Just goes to show you never know - someone who can totally annoy you can also totally surprise you.

Michelle Y