Wednesday, July 27, 2005

I've got to make an important phone call..

Today I'm sitting in Harvard Square waiting to meet Alex. I'm on the phone with my mom and this man comes up to me and urgently tells me he needs to make an important phone call. I brush him off but he persists. So I try and find him a quarter. I hand him .50cents and he says "it would be cheaper if you'd just let me use your phone". I told him he was crazy, get the hell away. I'm sure it would have been a scene to watch me try and chase him down the street after he ran off with my phone. So I've been here a week and I've decided to no longer give anything to any beggar...yes yes I'm sure you might have come to that decision earlier but they make me feel bad, and I want to help them. After today however, they will have to find someon else to scam.
The other interesting thing I saw today, and don't get me wrong I'm soaking up all of the different types of people here..but this particular incident struck me as funny, so anyway after the cell phone freak I see this girl walking down the sidewalk...she had this cool springy frizzy red hair and I was admiring it, when I saw her put her hands under her armpits and remove them and then sniff them both, ala Mary Catherine Gallagher...
"When I get nervous I stick my hands under my arms and I smell them. It's gross because they smell so bad. It's dirty and bad."
The image “http://img154.exs.cx/img154/2079/superstar5tr.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

I believe my mouth dropped open when I saw it

We had a nice lunch (I did actually, Alex didn't eat) at a small vegetarian cafe in the basement of a building. They served everything as either a pizza or over rice, brown or cocunut rice. It was pretty good. We took a nice long nap when we got back and we both woke up craving chocolate cookies so we went to the small market up the street and walked out with four different packages of cookies. Awful!!

No comments: