Monday, December 01, 2008

Jesus in the Trees

This morning I read a 'news' article about a woman finding the image of the blessed Virgin Mary (mother of the sweet baby Jesus) in salsa splatter from her blender http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/35239524.html

I said something to the effect of "Why is Mary always showing up in food?" out loud to anyone within ear shot in the office and Heather said something about writing a blog about it - so here I am.

Holy figures popping up in food, remember the grilled cheese and cinnamon bun with Jesus/Mary, and in other places where they 'shouldn't be' isn't that uncommon and of course there is a scientific explanation for it (we can't just have random miracles in our salsa splatter now can we?)

According to an article in the LA Times the phenomenon is called "pareidolia," which is the perception of patterns where none are intended. Professor Steve Guthrie says it's a survival instinct, and the way that humans are hard-wired.

I'd like to say that as much as I think the salsa splatter and cinnamon bun stretch it a bit I too have had my own 'pareidolia'. It happened to me while I was in Boston. I woke up one night and looked out my huge bedroom window to the trees that lined the parking lot and there - illuminated by the street light - was the image of Jesus (complete with a crown of thorns and beard) in the leaves of the trees.

I was so freaked out that I called Steve (who was in KY) at 2 in the morning. I was pretty much beside myself, I think I was crying, I know he thought I was crazy as I was seriously flipping out about the whole thing.

I had to shut the shade in order to settle down and go back to sleep. I was not taking any sleeping medication or any other type of medication that would make me see things - I simply saw Jesus in the Trees. Kristin and I think Stefanie also saw my Jesus in the Trees - unless they were just saying it to make me feel better.

After that first night I was a little more comfortable with Jesus watching me and I was able to open the shade...and after a few days the leaves fell off the tree and Jesus was *poof* gone...all that was left was us singing "Jesus in the trees..." to the tune of "Jesus Take the Wheel".

And that my friends is my salsa splatter story - as God is my witness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tater - it's totally true! I was not just being nice (really, am I ever?). :P We both saw Jesus in the tree!!!! Now I have Carrie Underwood in my head. That's not a bad thing. :) Miss you and our "I see Jesus" moments together! Now I've gotta run - there's lightening outside...