Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Happy Holidays!

I became borderline obsessed with making cookies last night - I had a whole thing of oats that basically screamed at me to be turned into oatmeal cookies so I went to K-roger and bought the rest of the supplies and baked up two batches of cookies. They were a bit dry but overall not too bad...added some chocolate chips and cinnamon for kick. Tonight it's chocolate chip!
I keep my flour in a ceramic container that my Grandpa bought my Grandma a long time ago - and was passed on to me when my grandma moved to a retirement community.
I was getting the flour out of the container and I felt compelled to smell it...it instantly reminded me of the pie baking both my Grandmas did when I was kid...It reminded me of the raisin pies my Nonnie would make every Christmas and the homemade ravioli and gnocchi.
It reminded me of the Farm house and the Evergreen tree my Grandpa and Grandma would decorate for me. The tree greeted us with its huge multi-colored lights as we drove up the lane for Christmas.
I feel lucky to have those memories and lucky to have the chance to make new ones with my family which has changed a lot over the last few years.
Blessed to be able to make new memories with family and friends but grateful too for the comforting memories the flour sifted up.

No comments: