Sunday, October 19, 2008

Fall Weekend






Steve and the boys had a great camping trip - although I think it got kinda chilly at night...Brrr The parents and I hit the outlet mall and way too many sweet/bad for you treats on Saturday. Back on the oatmeal bandwagon tomorrow! We had a baseball themed dinner tonight - hot dogs, STL Cards plates, napkins, cups the whole nine yards, including baseball cupcakes the boys helped decorate. Tomorrow it'll be Halloween dinner with spaghetti brains, eyeball candies, and ghoulish cupcakes. We played wiffle ball after Mom, Rese and I caught the Secret Life of Bees matinée. Wonderful book and wonderful movie. Makes you sometimes ashamed of being white b/c of the things that happened in the past and continue to happen today. But it is a two way - well actually a multi-way - street that we are all on together and sometimes you should be ashamed of being any race. As the cliche saying goes "Why can't we all just get along?" Anyway - like I said excellent movie and excellent book - check it out if you haven't. On a side note I was having lunch with my parents on Saturday at a high class establishment (Olive Garden - jealous? You would be if you knew how good the pumpkin cheesecake was that I devoured - shamelessly and with just a tad of regret later). Anyway...a woman walked in to join a large party of people at the table next to us. All there to celebrate several friends birthdays. As soon as she walked in I told my parents 'she looks like "God" in the book The Shack'. She had this warm glow about her and I immediately wanted to hug her. Despite my parents half hearted attempts to stop me I went over to her and bent down and asked her if she had read The Shack. She hadn't but knew a friend who had and loved it and I told her that in the book God shows up as a loving black woman and that she is what I pictured when I reading the book.

Now I realize this is a tad crazy and she could have probably been offended or scared or just otherwise indifferent and rude but she was not. Instead she handed me a postcard that had her business information on it. She was in fact a holistic healer type person who helped people deal with stress and grief in a calm loving way. Interesting I think - that I was so drawn to her. I'm glad she didn't have me arrested :)

1 comment:

Sarah: said...

'Tae, I got chills reading your post. Are you going to contact the healer lady??