Friday, May 09, 2008

Duran Duran


I LOVED Duran Duran in the 80's. My friends loved them too - we used to pretend we were their wives and we would take turns 'interviewing' each other using our tape recorder and microphone and ask stupid questions like, "So what do you think about John's square chin" in reference to John Taylor's chin. It was actually a question and we thought it was the funniest thing ever and we thought we were so cool with our 'interview' skills.


Of course we all had the posters and the cassettes and watched them endlessly on MTV. Some of us were even lucky enough to have the white jazz shoes that they wore. I was not. My favorite was Roger Taylor - the drummer. Second was John - he's still pretty.


Anyway the whole point of this post is to say that after many years of listening to their music and liking it it occurred to me the other day that I really have no idea what the hell they are saying in most of their songs...I could always pick up most of the words but they really made sense in a logical way - emotionally yes it was easier to get the jist.
Today I looked some of lyrics up to some of the classics - Rio, Hungry like the Wolf, Reflex...and I gotta say - even reading the words I still have no idea what the hell they are saying. It's all very poetic and catchy and sexy and fun but honestly - no freakin' clue as to the meaning of the majority of them.

Hungry Like the Wolf
In touch with the ground I'm on a hunt down after you.
Scent and a sound. I'm lost and I'm found And I'm hungry like the wolf. Strut on a line it's discord and rhyme I'm on the hunt down after you.
Rio
I've seen you on the beach and I've seen you on T.V. Two, of a billion stars, it means so much to me Like a birthday or a pretty view But then I'm sure that you know it's just for you Hey now (wow), look at that. Did he really run you down? At the end of the drive, the lawmen arrive you make me feel alive alive alive.

No comments: