Sunday, May 28, 2006

I smell bacon

I got pulled over this morning. I was out minding my own business taking an early morning drive when I made a left turn – at a green light – and apparently left turners are supposed to yield to oncoming traffic, even if the oncoming traffic doesn’t move when the light changes and even if that non-moving traffic is a cop. I get the whole yield rule – and I did yield for half a second and when the cop didn’t move I pulled out.

I pulled out and he turned his lights on and pulled up behind me. The first thing that went through my mind was “Of course – I haven’t showered; I have on no makeup and greasy hair.” Because for some reason a shower and makeup would make a difference. The second thing I thought was “Crap – I haven’t gotten a MA drivers license yet” and “Holy crap what/where is my registration” I had no idea what my registration looked like or if I really did ever put it in my car.

So officer big belly gets out of his car and bellies up to my car. And I said, “Was I not supposed to do that?” Sincerely not knowing I wasn’t allowed. He answered, “No ma’am, you are supposed to yield to oncoming traffic”. “Why did you pull out in front of a marked police cruiser?” I answered honestly “I really didn’t know I wasn’t supposed to – I’m very sorry.” Then I hand over the MO license and registration (thankfully when I opened my glove box I pulled out the only piece of paper in it – and it happened to be the right piece of paper. He then proceeds to ask me if I know that due to the fact that I have not changed my license I am subject to arrest. I said (voice shaking a bit for drama) "no".

He heads back to his “marked police cruiser” and checks my record out. He comes back and again asks me repeatedly why I pulled out in front of a marked police car and why I hadn’t gotten my license changed. I just kept saying I thought it was ok. I wanted to say BECAUSE EVERYONE IN THIS STATE PULLS OUT IN FRONT OF EVERYONE – HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN ON THE JOB MAN?

He let me go – thank you BB – and told me to get my license changed and don’t pull out in front of people again. Of course my only mistake was pulling out in front of a cop. What I did people do everyday – you have to go when you get the chance – just be wary of who you pull out in front of.

Bugger!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a similar experience with a cop when I moved back here in '91. I had only been here for a few weeks but, of course, got stopped right away. He gave me crap for not having changed my NH license over to MA. Although I told him I had already spoken to the DMV and they said I have to wait a month (if I remember correctly) to establish residency he said that was crap and that I needed to do it asap or he would arrest me. Bad thing was, this cop was one of the worst of the Stoughton bunch and my townie friends told me he was the type to do it. I had a very noticeable Camaro and for months afterward every time he saw me in town he trailed me to see if I had adjusted my registration and if he could bag me for something, anything. I was only 18 and petrified to drive in Stoughton!! Beware because MA cops like to make stuff up! I've not only been victim to it but I've been witness to it time and time again! We had an incident where a cop told Gene he had cut him off. We were like 'where and when did this take place?'since we'd only been driving for 5 mins. We had the dog in the back and while Gene was trying to ask the cop, very politely, what he was talking about, another cop approached the car from the passenger side and Orion started going beserk. The cops immediately pulled their guns and told us to restrain the dog or they would be forced to shoot him. WHAT???? You snuck up on him and doing his doggy duty of protecting us! We were so pissed!!! We calmed Orion down, Gene was presented with a hefty ticket for a couple of offenses and the cop said that if he ever saw Orion again he would be forced to shoot him. Gene was sooo pissed. He immediately called his buddy on the force to get the ticket fixed. His buddy came back and said that the cop wanted an apology because Gene was very rude and had threatened him with a dangerous animal. It was such bull*%)$!!! Needless to say Gene absolutely refused to apologize, lodged a complaint with the police department and fought the ticket all the way.