Saturday, May 13, 2006

I love Fridays

I took this from Emma's blog because it was one of the highlights of the day - this is a conversation that happened at work Friday morning between Carlo and Emma -

Today was supposed to be this big corporate golf outing, but it was cancelled due to the weather. So my co-worker, Carlo was invited and was planning on attending. I asked Carlo, if he even golfed at all. His response?

"Does it LOOK like I golf? I mean, I live in West Roxbury...I have a golf club I swing, but not for playing golf."

For those not familiar with West Roxbury - the best I can do is to have you think of a less scary version of East St. Louis.

And further proof that I should ride the short bus here's a story from Friday afternoon -
I have never really painted before - the only time I remember painting is helping my dad paint the shed one time when I was about 8. I'm pretty sure it ended with my dad cussing me out :-) I wanted to learn in case we needed to paint the new apartment so Tom offered to teach me.

First he shows me how to use the edger tool thing - to carefully and neatly paint a nice 4-5 inch border around the thermostat and the open electrical outlets. (This tool is so handy because it allows you to easily paint around objects in the wall without getting paint on them - that's the whole idea - you can stay a good distance away from them when you use the roller or brush. You probably already figure this out…anyway) Great - love the edger tool! Then he shows me how to load the roller - not too much - not too little - just the right amount of paint. He then proceeds to show me how to paint with the proper technique.

Now it's my turn to take the roller - it's not the short stick roller but the long stick roller. How hard can it be? Well apparently pretty difficult for me. As I get closer to the thermostat Tom and Paul tell me "Don't hit the thermostat" And I’m thinking - Duh! I know that - that' s why we used the edger tool!

So I’m rolling along and I roll right over the corner of the thermostat - not once - but TWICE. Tom kinda looks at me like - "Are you kidding me?" I wasn’t. I don’t know why I hit twice – I wasn’t trying to.

I want to give up but no - I have to try again - so I move on to the lower portion of the wall and jokingly am told not to roll over the open socket - again - DUH! I did it twice with the thermostat I think I get the drift now - Nope. It's like someone took over my arms and I rolled completely over the friggin' socket. Totally covering it in paint! Tom said two things 1. I can see why your dad cussed at you 2. You're fired.

No comments: