Friday, April 28, 2006

Jessie's Girl

A long long time ago (1980 something) in a kitchen with red paisley wallpaper and a bright yellow phone (left over artifacts from the 70's) a young girl was promised tickets to see Rick Springfield. Unfortunately due to games young girls play - she was unable to go. The young girl - now more or less an adult - still wears the scars of this event. But this is not a sad tale -Jessie's Girl still makes her dance in her car - and anywhere really - like Molly Ringwald.

I have been reminded of this event many times in the last several weeks - and finally no longer with childlike disappointment but rather an overwhelming sense of happiness. It all started a few months ago when Rick Springfield made an appearance on Ellen - from far away he still looks good (don't we all). Then came the mix CD Tori made - she graced the gem with Jessie’s' Girl and I was struck by how it's just about impossible to listen to that song too many times. Every time I hear it I (several times a week now) I am compelled to open the sun roof and wave my arms about as I sing loudly along with Rick. Finally - tonight - Mr. Springfield opened the Daytime Emmy awards with a medley of his greatest hits. It was like a mini concert in my living room and all is right with the world.

No comments: