Saturday, January 21, 2006

Resolution






In accordance with my New Year's Resolution - being more adventurous - I woke up this morning and decided to go to Maine. I visited a few of my favorite places - the Coastal Candle Store, Drake's Island, and Nubble Light. Also spent a few minutes in downtown Portsmouth NH. When I was in the candle shop the owner asked if much had changed since I had been there last and at that point I was able to happily say no, not much had changed. Sadly as the trip progressed I found many things had changed. First, the house at Drake's Island is up for sale. Maureen and her family have decided to sell it. Second, the place we used to eat by Nubble Light with the beautiful view of the ocean and Nubble - has been torn down and in its place is a big purple house. So now instead of anyone being able to enjoy the view...only the owners of the house get to enjoy it. So many houses are for sale, so many wooded lots are for sale, so many stores closed and for sale. Progress at the cost of one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. A place that felt like home even before it was my home (if only for a few months). Of course the progress has been happening for years and there have been countless acres of woods and beaches taken up by stores and homes but at what point will the progress be too much? It is still beautiful though and hopefully will be beautiful for many more years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never seen that particular lighthouse before, it's just beautiful. Wouldn't it be fun to live on that glorious rock? With your terrific photographs of the coast you've managed to make me feel really homesick .... I'm not even from Maine!!!

Phoenix said...

Stumbled upon your photos - I just moved from that area back to Ohio; how I miss the ocean! I used to work at the Cliff House Restort/Spa and could see the Nubble from my 'office.'

You might enjoy my site: pxpixels@blogspot.com - lots of the Ogunquit and Popham Beach areas. Yes the area is changing rapidly, sad but true. Thanks - glad you're stepping into the adventure!!