Saturday, November 08, 2008

Purely for my enjoyment - a walk back in time with Axl

Watching Vh1's top songs of the 80's and when you take out some of the overplayed Wang Chung I gotta say I love the 80's. Especially when they played "Don't Stop Believin", "Shook me all Night Long", "Walk this Way" and "Sweet Child O' Mine" in a row.

And watching the SCOM video again brings back all those teenage memories and feelings and how awesome that song still is and how I have to admit I'm an obsessed GnR fan to my core. I almost feel like pulling out my GnR DVD and watching all their videos....

I remember laying in the back seat of Greg Nokes' friends old Camero - windows open, flying down the highway - listening to "It's so Easy" with the radio so loud you could sing at the top of your lungs and no one else in the car could hear you.

Then there was the midnight road trip to TX with Snooky in her Mustang - complete with ripped convertible top - blaring Appetite for Destruction - particularly Welcome to the Jungle - again singing as loud as possible - not caring what you sounded like.

I remember the first time I saw the video for Patience - at the Mascoutah Bowling Alley - Sharon Ferrante was standing by me and I was entranced by the images and the music. (sounds dorky I know but too bad).

Jenn O and me driving through Murray in her green Eclipse scatting (b/c we thought it was funny) to the acoustic version of You're Crazy.

Buying the Illusion tapes in London and listening to them over and over on my walk man.

Watching them in concert in St. Louis with Tiffany, Barry, Eddie - and the stunned amazement when the riot broke out - right in the middle of Rocket Queen.

Being 33 and running up to be front and center stage at the Green Dragon in Boston when the cover band broke out in various Gunner songs.

Waiting forever and hoping not to be disappointed a few years ago in Worcester for Axl to come on stage - remembering back to my first concert when GnR opened for Aerosmith at the Checkerdome in STL - me and Eric Dobrick - screaming our heads off when Axl comes out and howled "Do you know where the **** you are?!?!??!"

And bringing it full circle almost - Calling Snooky tonight in a near panic state after hearing that GnR might be at the Savvis Center in Nov and not being close to a computer to check immediately...sadly no concert - at least not yet.

I can't wait for Nov 23rd to see if the new album will really really really be released.

No comments: