Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Great Day

It's been a great day for politics here at work and as one non-US citizen said "Today is the first I've actually wanted to be a US citizen".

This was said in a very respectful way and I understood what they meant. There were many examples today that made me proud.

  1. Hugging a friend/co-worker over the results and getting goose bumps when she relayed how important this election was to her and her young son. She said it was worth more than anything that she could teach him - she was brought up to believe she could do anything and be anything and she's passed that on to her son - but this election SHOWS him that.
  2. Talking with McCain supporters about our differences and similarities and the reasons behind the way we voted. The best part of that was being able to do it in a respectful and open minded manner.
  3. I was also impressed with one friend/co-worker who voted McCain but said as soon as it was announced that Obama won she made up her mind to respect and support him as the leader of our country. If only we could all be as gracious and an such a positive example of how democracy works. I have to be honest - if it had gone the other way I don't know if I could make the switch so quickly.
  4. I've learned I have a lot to learn and it's hard to sift through all the political propaganda and sort out what's true and relevant and it's refreshing to listen to people who know more than I do or know different things than I do and if not agree at least respect their opinions b/c their informed and knowledgeable.

No comments: