Saturday, September 01, 2007

Puttin the Smack Down on Wal Mart - sorta


Please overlook the humidity stricken hair - it's all about the shirt


Going to Wal Mart (or the Wal Marts as some are keen to say) is just about against my religion but lately I've been getting my groceries there b/c it is SO much cheaper. And yes I feel like I'm selling my soul to the devil but it's cheap and I'll work out the moral dilemma later...point of the story is not my soul - well actually I guess it is according the cashier we had last Sunday.

The Book of Natae - Chapter 1 Verse 1

Bugg and I are unloading our groceries and the cashier is beginning to check us out when the following convo takes place (some of you have heard this already)

Cashier "Would you like to donate $1 to the Vandy Children's Hospital?"
Me "No thank you, not today" (I was sweet about it)
Cashier "Well if it were me I'd think especially on Sunday I'd want to give"
Me - pausing for 30 seconds to collect myself and absorb what she said and decide if 1) I walk out right then without my groceries 2) Reach across the counter and tear her lips off 3) Respond politely or angrily.

I go with 3 and say "Well what you don't know is that my boyfriend gives every year to the Ronald McDonald House b/c his niece's family spent a lot of time there when she was a baby - so we give to them, but thank you for making me feel like crap" (and I said it politely)
Cashier "Well I'm SORRY" (all pissed off and hateful)
Me "That's ok - everybody's got a freakin' opinion" (not so politely this time)

And then she proceeded to throw our crap in the bags and I proceeded to stare at the floor or out into space seething and fuming and feeling like crap for losing my cool (slightly) and for not giving her the stupid dollar and upset with her for saying what she said.

I got my change back - $51.00 (hmmm) and left.

Fast forward to today - a week later - and I'm still bruised by it b/c it's none of her business what I do on Sunday or any other day so today I called Wal Mart and relayed the entire story to the manager - even that I was a crab too. He apologized and agreed that she was out of line and told me he would be speak to her. Whether he will or not I do feel like he took me seriously and did find her to be out of line as well. I feel better but it would have been fun to rip her lips off :)

Also - please note that I was wearing my Jesus shirt that day (pictured above.) You'd think that would count for something.

And I know a few things Jesus Wouldn't do - he wouldn't make you feel like crap when all you were trying to do was save a buck on groceries and he wouldn't be self-righteous and judgemental.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.