Monday, August 06, 2007

Two Things


I was doing some admin stuff today for someone at work that consisted of me paper clipping a card to a piece of paper that would then be mailed out. As I’m clipping the cards it occurs to me that I’m using large paperclips and perhaps I should be using the small paperclips because maybe they always use small paperclips and large paperclips would be a bad idea. Then I thought – ‘I’m a crazy person’ and banged my head on the desk a few times.

After I got a grip I realized why I had that much anxiety about a paperclip. I was having flashbacks from the boss from hell experience at my former job. And the fact that she would have most certainly had issue with large paperclips. And after I figured this out I realized that normal people don’t care about paper clip size Natae – they don’t care.


I will not get a lecture about the size of the clips or my decision to clip them on the left side of the paper. I will not then be reminded endlessly thereafter of the importance of using small paper clips, nor will she (ex-boss) waste 30 minutes of my life giving me instructions on the exact type of paper clips I should order from Staples in which color, plastic covered or straight metal. Not going to happen. Instead I did the task and the person I did it for said, ‘that was quick – thanks’. Hmm I did a super job - gold star day I thought with sarcasm – which leads me to my other thing…

The person I did this task for is super nice and they meant no disrespect when they told me – wow that was quick – but given my issues with my job lately I wanted to hit myself in the chest with my hand in a palsy like manner and walk off muttering b/c seriously – it’s not like it takes a lot of skill to do what I just did – was it supposed to take me all day? I HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE – I ARE SMART DAMNIT! Yes I know it should be ‘am’.

Utilize my mad skills yo - utilize me - I'm begging you!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sucks when you think your job is going to be one thing and it turns out to be something completely different. I'm interviewing for jobs and they keep asking me if I can arrange travel, do expense report, provide calendar management, develop PowerPoint presentations, etc. I try really hard to bite back the sarcasm when I answer, I am a high-level Executive Assistant with 8 years experience, if I couldn't do these things do you think I would be employed, let alone make the salaries I do?

Your ex-boss sounds alot like my ex-boss. They really make you doubt your sanity when, in all actuality, it's not you at all. I'm working on getting over my issues and moving back into positive thought where my skills and abilities are concerned too. I literally almost sought therapy to figure out why I went from being a stellar EA to one that could never do anything right. Instead, I consulted everyone else who worked with him, realized I wasn't the crazy one and decided I was better off leaving. They will get theirs in the end.

Michelle Y

Unknown said...

Hi Michelle :) Good luck with the job hunt!