Thursday, November 02, 2006

My Happy Moment

I waited at the Central Square T-stop for the train after a particularly melancholy afternoon. The train pulled up and I realized I would have to cram into an overcrowded T car. This normally doesn't trip my trigger. I hate all those freakin' people around me; too close, too smelly, too loud, too much...I was almost positive the ride was going to be painfully unpleasant both emotionally and physically (sometimes the quiet (in my own head) the T affords leads to too much time to think which can be a bit overwhelming on the best of days and downright tear producing on the worst. So I was ready for the waterworks as I squeezed my way onto the car.

The train had just started to move; I had just found my footing and a place to hold onto when the middle aged man next to me with the dreadlocks broke out into an cabaret like rendition of "A Whole New World", the theme from Aladdin. I lost it. I could not stop laughing. The guy was right next to me yet I could not stop laughing. But I wasn't being rude - he could actually sing pretty well - but it just seemed so absurd that of all the songs to sing he picks that one to belt out. And then as he's singing he says "Cincess" instead of "Princess" and it made me laugh even more.

My friend who was on the train with me then points out another swingin cat sitting in the corner who has his headphones on, CD player firmly in hand, and who appears to not only be rocking out but also having a conversation with the voices in his headphones. Picture if you will a small man, shirt unbuttoned to almost his navel, several of his front teeth missing, with a completely satisfied look on his face as he sings and talks to himself.

Both of these amateur David Hasselhoff's were very obviously in their own happy places - they were content and were clearly enjoying their "happy moment" and in turn I had a happy moment as well which made all the afternoon crap seem not so bad.

No comments: