Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Guns n Bars

Preface: I used to be a gun owner - and if that's your thing then go on with ya bad self as I feel most of the legal gun carrying public abide by the laws (although I'm iffy on the need to own assault rifles - just don't get it). Back to the point of this post...

Quick and Dirty summary: It's now legal to bring a gun into a bar in Nashville. Scary right? I mean I can see this going bad in so many ways.

Well see they've added a few stipulations that make it safe.

1. You have to have a permit
2. You can't be drinking alcohol if you carry

Phew! That makes me feel so much better!


The one thing that does actually make me feel better is the fact that establishments can ban guns if they so choose.

I know that with or without a law people will do what they want in so far as - if a crazy wants to bring a gun with them into a bar or anywhere else and shoot people up they don't really care about having a permit or what the law says - but it just makes me a little uneasy knowing that it's been given the green light - I don't know how they expect to control it.

Are they going to mark a big red X on the gun holders when they walk in the bar so the bartender knows not to serve them? Is everyone going to be patted down upon entry and permits checked along with ID? Or are we just going to hope everyone is honest and that the gun totin' folks will guard and protect us.

1 comment:

Mary Bernard said...

Oh, gosh! I sooooo agree with you. I see no point in this at all. Furthermore, what about the guns in parks? I think that is awful. Kids playing, dogs running, random shoot-outs over drug deals gone bad? Lord, help us...