Monday, June 30, 2008

MEGA Church


Had another good weekend. Wonderful weather, great company, some really good food, and generally relaxing, yet productive.


Had a great mini visit with Sarah who was in town for a conference. We got to catch up and had lots of AHA! moments about various things over a bottle of Pinot G. (yeah I'm slick with the wine talk - it's cuz I'm real refined and sh*t). Ha!


Anyway...also on Sunday before the PG, Steve and I went to church with his parents who were also in town this weekend. As I think I've mentioned before when they come to Nashville they like to check out different churches and we go with them. We've been to a few - some I liked some not so much. This one was a split decision. The sermon actually made some sense but the church was so big that it was sort of ridiculous and I had to stop myself THREE times when we pulled into the parking lot from saying "JESUS CHRIST THIS CHURCH IS HUGE!"


It had 5 different levels, a gymnasium, several kid play rooms, a library, a reception type area for snacks/coffee and this enormous sanctuary with a gigantic balcony, giant TV's for you to see all the action even all way up top in said balcony and a huge altar/stage. (the picture is almost exactly what it looked like).


The kicker for me was when these three HUGE curtains came down on the altar/stage. They rose minutes later to reveal a choir, a group of musicians, and 5 men sitting on big chairs that to me sort of had a 'throne' kinda feel. They kicked the choir into gear and the people got on their feet and the hands starting waving and the AMENS started shouting and I wanted to retreat into a hole.


Some young girls up near the front were really getting down with the Lord - with their hands raised to God, swaying back and forth (like a rock concert for Christ). One girl was pumping her fist with one arm while her other arm was outstretched (up and out) to the point it must have been in the face of the girl standing next to her. The whole time I'm watching this I kept thinking 'If that chick had her arm/hand in my face like that I might have to take her down'.


I'm not making fun of anyone I'm just running commentary on what I saw and how I saw it...I'm not a showy flashy person (I'm loud and obnoxious sometimes but showy) and it makes me really uncomfortable especially in church settings to watch people 'get caught up in the spirit' in such a flamboyant way. I also am cynical and I think the majority of my uncomfortableness with it all is that I doubt the sincerity...I just don't get the whole stage setup for an altar. The choir members that sang solos almost seemed to be auditioning for American Idol, and the 5 men in the 'thrones' just had a really slick look to them.


Evidently at one point when the man behind me shouted out "AMEN" for the 10th time I made some sort 'Humph!' noise. I don't recall doing it but Bugg heard it. It's hard to keep my inside voice to myself sometimes...




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I would have paid you $30 (spend it in America - it's not much in Holland) to hear you say "JESUS CHRIST THIS PLACE IS HUGE!" Still lol... please don't ever change Tae!!! SO MISSING YOU!! XOK

Anonymous said...

Well, in Nashvegas, we like our places of worship large and loud!

We went to one right after I moved here that had a real Rock Concert vibe - they did new word's to Simon and Garfunkel's "Celia". Substitute Jesus for Celia. Hard not to sing "when I come back to bed, someone's taken my place..."

That was better than the one that we went to, thinking it was fairly progressive, only to hear the woman behind us speaking in tongues.

Fun post!

ae