Monday, February 11, 2008

Peeved


In TN you can get “Choose Life” license plates for your car – complete with a picture of a baby in the background. To say it irks me is an understatement. Just writing about it makes my stomach twist in knots and I can feel my blood pressure rising.

I don’t know if other states offer these types of plates but I think it’s totally out of line. I can’t quite put into words why I find it so offensive but I do. Something to do with a state sponsoring it I guess is what I find so offensive.

The bumper stickers and the freeway signs, the white crosses in the church yards, and the sign holders in front of the Planned Parent Hoods aren’t enough (not to mention the clinic bombings, doctor shootings, and patient harrassment). I guess you need to flaunt your “morally superior values” and your “Christian like virtues” on your tacky license plates too.
That's exactly how most of them act too - like they are so enlightened and so righteous (and I've talked to them, I've listened to them - I'm not just stereotyping). By most of them I mean the ones that insist on waving their banners and insist on everyone seeing it their way b/c it certainly is the ONLY way - the ones that quietly believe what they believe - I have no problem with.

I looked on the TN license plate website and didn’t see an option for “Pro-Choice”. I want equal time.

It’s so cliché but honestly if you don’t believe in it don’t do it. I think it’s really simple. Keep your beliefs, hold fast to them, but don’t shove your them in my face.

2 comments:

Sarah: said...

Oh Ugh. I admire you for tolerating looking at those every day. I think you should write to your congressmen/women and ask for a Pro-Choice Plate...

Emma Donnelly said...

STOP IT. I hope I see that this weekend, I'll be the one throwing my skates at the vehicle.