Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Socially Awkward Random Musings


I went to a work function last night where I was supposed to 'work the room' along with some other PS folks.

I'm not a room worker.

I'm awkward, I babble, my eyes go all crazy and I swear one is looking one way and the other is looking the other way...that is when I can make myself make eye contact.

It's just awkward and I always dread it.

I called Bugg 5 minutes before 'show time' and told him I was about to have a full blown panic attack and he gave me a nice "everybody loves natae" pep talk - which while sweet made me instantly realize how ridiculous I was being - so I sucked it up and walked in armed with no canned questions or tidbits on current events - just me. Filter- less and ready to inadvertently offend others and embarrass myself.

Rock on.

As it always is, I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it actually was and as always there were some genuinely nice people to talk with and I enjoyed myself. The show was good, singing was good and it was too cheesy.

I do wish that Allison could have been there when the Singers on the General Jackson busted out their PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN PATRIOTIC FINALE EXTRAVAGANZA b/c there was no one there to make eyes with.

The glitter on the girls dresses literally almost blinded me. They came out on stage and looked like sparklers they were so dag gone shiny. But as they say in the south, "The bigger the hair and the shinier the dress, the closer to God." Amen.

1 comment:

ae said...

I love that you know me well enough to know that I'd have definitely made eyes at the Patriotic Finale!

Glad you had fun - we must talk about our mutual affliction - pre-party panic sometime.