Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Self - Help

I was having a convo with a friend tonight about self help groups, confidence building seminars and the like and it reminded me of a seminar I went to last year. Last year wasn't the greatest year and I decided to take a self-help class - I can't remember the exact name of the class but it was about "Empowerment". Say it with me - EMPOWERMENT!

The class met for four hours one Saturday and was lead by a "self made" woman - single mom, started her own company, the whole nine yards. She had some good ideas but as I sat there I thought - shit I know all of this - I watch OPRAH for chrissakes!

Part of the class was of course to share our personal experiences. After listening to the other train wrecks in the group for four hours I was definitely feeling like a winner, these people had some serious crazy going on and there's nothing like a group of worse off disasters to make you feel like the best damn disaster EVER!!

So I vote in favor of self-help groups because you might be lucky enough to be least screwed up of the bunch and that's always good for a smile.


No comments: